Sometimes you need to just slow right down.
When your work and home life is racing at full-speed, so is your mind. Restorative yoga helps provide the physical and mental balance to prevent stress and anxiety. It is a mostly passive practice, using props to support the body and holding poses for 5 to 10 minutes, it gives you all the benefits of deep, passive stretching and triggers the relaxation response that helps the nervous system recover from continuous daily stress.
The thing is, people who would benefit most from restorative yoga are the ones who find it difficult to slow down and switch off.
They tend to gravitate towards faster moving or higher intensity exercise, and yes, while there is certainly a feel-good factor, these forms of exercise don’t allow for the deep physical and mental rest that’s needed to balance a busy, active lifestyle.
Without this balancing rest, they may experience an increase of stress as well as other symptoms like insomnia, irritability, and increased risk of injury.
Here are 10 things which might suggest you are in need of some rest and relaxation:
- You have difficulty getting to sleep at night
- You feel tired when you wake up in the morning
- You have ongoing, unexplained muscle or joint pain
- You’re often irritable and impatient.
- You keep planning to “take some time for yourself,” but never get around to it.
- You can’t stop multitasking, including at red lights, during meals, and even while you’re in the bathroom…
- You take work home with you.
- You take work to bed with you.
- You catch every cold, and never seem to completely recover.
- You are constantly checking your phone/email/socials pages
CHQ staff each Wednesday 12pm to 1pm Wednesday.